The Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Assistant program is a 50-week diploma course approved as a vocational program.
Health Writing Skills and Computers in Health Care are included as a component of the course to offer graduates the flexibility of working alongside therapists and/or handling reception duties.
- Introduction to Anatomy & Physiology
- Normal Functional Movement
- Therapeutic Skills for the Physiotherapy Assistant
- Therapeutic Skills for the Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Orientation to Rehabilitation
- Health Care System
- Ethical Issues
- Developmental Psychology
- Introduction to Gerontology
- Disabling Conditions
- Psychiatric Disorders
- Communication Disorders
- Health Writing Skills
- Human Relations
- Computers in Health Care
- CPR and Standard First Aid
- 14 weeks of Clinical Placement upon successful completion of all course work
Grade 12 or equivalent is needed with demonstrated English proficiency, communication and comprehension skills. Students must have the equivalent standing at the general level in English.
Area employers that hire our graduates include:
- General Hospital.
- Physiotherapy Clinic.
- West Kingston Physiotherapy Clinic
- Mental Health Services.
- Health Consultants.
- Special learning Centre.
As a Graduate of the Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Assistant Program....
- You will find that the majority of positions exist in public and private clinics, hospitals
- You will also find that job opportunities exist in home-care and long-term care facilities
- Alternative career options include sales, teaching, fitness clubs
A Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy Assistant Career is for you if you....
- Enjoy working in a customer service-based industry
- Possess solid oral and written communication skills
- Are a team player
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Derive personal satisfaction from seeing people regain their independence